AFRIMS Armed Forces Research Institute of Medical Sciences
  • About AFRIMS
  • News
  • Publications
  • Locations / Facilities
  • Contact Us
Left navigator bar NewComer Information Check E-mail Hman Subjects Protection Information Management Resource Management Research Support Logistics Library Epidemiology and Disease Surveillance Human Resources Veterinary Medicine Virology Embassy of the United States, Bangkok Retrovirology JUSMAG Immunology Entomology Enteric Diseases AKO (Army Knowledge Online) D.D.A. D.D.S. RTA-AFRIMS WHO Collaborating Center Director WRAIR iSalute

The Armed Forces Research Institute of Medical Sciences (AFRIMS) was founded as the result of a mutual agreement between the Thai and United States Governments to battle a widespread cholera epidemic in Bangkok and Thonburi during 1958-1959. Scientists, researchers and physicians under the leadership of the Royal Thai Army Medical Department’s Institute of Pathology, the United States Army Medical Department’s Institute of Pathology, the United States Army’s Walter Reed Army Institute of Research (WRAIR) and the US Naval Medical Research Unit No.2 (NAMRU-2) worked together to counter the cholera epidemic. Later, the Thai and US Governments recognized the importance of the medical cooperative effort and agreed on continuing joint medical research efforts. AFRIMS then began a series of transformations with expanded missions.
In 1959, the SEATO Cholera Research Laboratory was established in Bangkok as proposed by the 5th meeting of the SEATO Council.
In 1960, the SEATO Cholera Research Laboratory in Bangkok changed its name to the SEATO Medical Research Laboratory as proposed by the US party in the 6th meeting of the SEATO Council. The Letter of Approval and the Letter of Agreement with respect to the said transformation was exchanged between the Thai and the US Governments on December 23, 1960.
In 1961, the Royal Thai Ministry of Defense approved the establishment of the SEATO Medical Research Project Office, by the order of Ministry of Defense, dated September 26, 1961, effective October 1961 under the Supervision of MG Phung Phintuyothin, the first Director General of the SEATO Medical Research Laboratory and LTC Oscar Felsenfeld, the first Commander of the United States Army Medical Component.
The SEATO Medical Research Laboratory was renamed the Armed Forces Research Institute of Medical Sciences (AFRIMS) on June 30, 1977 as a result of the dissolution of SEATO.

[Click on the image to enlarge]

Recent Activities at AFRIMS
AFRIMS recent activities HIV Vaccine Study First to show effectiveness AFRIMS on Dengue at Voice of America AFRIMS on Malaria in New York Times AFRIMS researchers instructed 104 medical cadets from Phramongkutklao College of Medicine AFRIMS hosts infectious diseae surveillance workshop for laos PDR lab technicians AFRIMS concludes Pilat Malaria Prophylaxis clinical trial in Cambodia Dr. Rampa Rattanarathiul received the Belkin Award, The highest honor given by the AMCA Dedication and opening of joint AFPMC AFRIMS molecular laboratory in the Phillippines NBC shows story on drug resistant malaria on the Thai-Cambodia border in Cambodia Malaria Vaccine: Inside look at first human trial from BBC news HVRC opening ceremony Change of Command 2015 AFRIMS leaders join "Bike For Mom 2015" event US Embassy Employee of the Month Public Release of Joint Concept of Health Services Public Release of Joint Concept of Health Services more AFRIMS activities

Search AFRIMS